Monday, February 13, 2006

Christmas in New England?

The kotr kal is knitting the New England socks this session. I'm not a big fan of knitting lace and at first had thought I would not knit these socks. But then I felt kind of bad about skipping a sock and thought how could I knit the pattern without knitting the socks. And came up with the idea of a Christmas stocking. This way I only had to knit one sock but felt better about having knit the pattern. I plan to embellish it with lace/buttons/trims, etc but don't have anything on hand at the moment so will wait till the Christmas stuff comes out later in the year.



Pattern: New England from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Red Heart supersaver Light Sage 5mm dpns
Notes: I followed the pattern exactly using worsted weight yarn. I used the same heel and toe shaping as the pattern but modified a bit to create a short foot.

A huge portion of my knitting time is being spent on the mitred blanket. I had to buy another ball of black to continue working on it. When I started I filled up a basket with scraps. I have since emptied it and have filled it a second time and it's slowly emptying again.


Progress shot of the blanket:


Now that the New England sock is done I have started the Norwegian socks for the folk sock kal. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to knit this sock because I wasn't sure I had enough yarn for it. And being in the stash-a-long I'm not allowed to buy any new yarn. But after combing through the stash I came up with sufficient quantities of some vintage Pingouin yarn. Not the colours I would have chosen if I was buying yarn for it but I am happy with it.


My January sock of the month club kit finally arrived last week. I'm really pleased with it. A simple pattern but I love the pinks. Deb has already started these and they are lovely.


On to paper crafts:

I am working with the 4x6 postcard size a lot now and this is my recent card. "Study in Grids #1"


I also did another altered puzzle piece. This one is for a frog theme puzzle. I have sent out all the pieces to my Wizard of Oz puzzle and am now waiting for them to arrive to the artists who will be working on them.

4 comments:

Lissa said...

your blanket is beautiful, definatly enough to inspire a girl! How big is it now? it looks huge!

Kim said...

Your stocking and blanket look great. I love the idea of making a sock pattern into a stocking--that had never occured to me before. Your altered puzzle pieces are great--so creative. I have a question--do you just take a puzzle and embellish over the pieces or do you start with blank pieces? Just passing through on Stashalong patrol, have a great week!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blanket!! You are so amazing - so many things on the go - fabulous!

Rebecca said...

Great idea on the New England Sock ~ maybe I will have to do that, too just to get caught up! Your Norwegian is looking nice, too.