Tuesday, September 20, 2005

FOs

I have a big ball of yellow cotton that I've been using for washcloths. These will be for Christmas presents. I have three done with more to come.



Another Multi-D scarf finished. I love doing this technique! Here is the zigzag scarf. This pattern is from Iris's yahoo group and obtained free after you have finished the first multi-D scarf.



And last, but certainly not least, are the completed Feather and Fan socks for the socksx3 kal in Opal Rainforest Zebra. I kinda lost steam on the second sock. I really like it and the pattern is easy but I guess the neutral black and white numbed my senses a bit.

I followed the pattern almost exactly as written. The only changes I made were a 24 row heel and I did not do the garter stitch rows at the the end of the leg.


Click here to enlarge.

I've made a bargain with myself to work on different techinques for heels and toes. Up to this point I have got into the habit of ignoring heel,gusset and toe instructions in a pattern and just using my normal (favorite) methods. So, for the Feather and Fan socks I had always wondered what a ribbed heel would be like. I like the look but am not too crazy with fit, but it's ok. A dutch heel with short gusset fits nice. The dutch heel does look wonky when it's not being worn, but it does fit nicely. The toe (Decrease every 4th row till a certain point, then decrease every row) I was afraid I wouldn't like and I kept thinking it was going to be way too long but surprisingly, it wasn't and I really like the fit of this method.

On the needles: The nordic mittens just need their thumbs, more dishcolths, and I'm using the leftover Zebra to make spiral rib socks for the 5-year-old.

3 comments:

Mitz said...

Socks are still great.
What yarn have you used to the multidirectional scarf? I do love the colorways in it. I LOVE PURPLE.

Anonymous said...

The feather and fan socks look great in the Zebra yarn. I think that experimenting with heels and toes keeps sock knitting interesting.

Rebecca said...

Love those Zebra Feather and Fan Socks, Nicola. I have not even started mine. I have joined too many knitalongs lately. I saw a yahoo DISHCLOTH knitalong tonight but restrained from joining. LOL