Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And Now for Something Completely Different

I am taking a new direction in this blog. I have a purpose!

I have a huge stash which I actually have not really added to in quite some time. A few odd balls here and there and some thrifted yarn but no big yarn purchases for a couple of months now.

So here is my purpose for this blog. I am going to knit up my stash! My stash is quite large and contains everything from 100% acrylics to 100% wool with everything inbetween. Nice yarn and not so nice yarn. Yarn I haven't knitted because it's too nice, yarn I haven't knitted because I don't know what to knit with it. I have an incredible amount of odd balls that just sit around and seem to multiply.

Now, I'm not saying I won't buy yarn anymore but I am going to knit from the stash on a regular basis.

What stash you ask? This stash:

My Stash - Bottom of Closet
Bottom of closet

My Stash - Top of Closet
Top of closet

Now, it may not look like a lot to some of you but trust me those boxes are big and absolutely stuffed full of yarn. Some of the boxes only close properly because of the boxes sitting on top of them!

Starting off this stash-busting project we have the first box, which was not included in the above pictures. This box is only half full.

First Box of Stash

First Goal of The Stash Project: Knit up this box of yarn.

But I need your help. This box is full of odd balls and I have a hard time thinking of small items to knit with odd balls. Please give me your input! Here are the first balls I've moved to my knitting basket. What should I knit with them?

1) Wendy Capri - 2 - 50 gr balls - no yardage - double knitting - 51% cotton/49% acrylic - colour is cream/off white
Wendy Capri

2) Patons Cotton Sahara - 50 gr blue, 75 gr peach - 115 yds per 50 gr - worsted weight - 89% cotton/11% nylon - as a note these colours match my living room.
sept13-4

3) Patons Siberia - 80 gr multi kind of burgundy and grey - no yardage - chunky weight - 77.5% acrylic/12% cotton/8.5% mohair/2% nylon
sept13-5

Any ideas?

5 comments:

sparkli said...

the Patons Siberia looks like it would make a nice squishy scarf! and hat ! and send it me! ok, kidding on the last one. :D if you think it would show some texture, i think the "my so called scarf" is a fantastic easy pattern... also, my favorite. ;)

Anonymous said...

I remember Patons Sahara - that stuffs been mellowing in the stash awhile. Since the colours match your living room, the obvious choice would be a pillow top. And I love your feather and fan shawl below - very funky. I'm trying to do some stash projects too, but I haven't managed to stop buying yet.

Anonymous said...

holy jesus. That's a lot of yarn. Do you have One Skein? That might help with some ideas. That white one reminds me of these beautiful cupcakes in there. Good luck but i have to say i'm excited! I'd like to see what you do.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing stash photos. I can tell hubby that my stash is NOTHING compared to others. :)

Elinor Dashwood said...

I agree with you: Patons Sahara is too nice for dishcloths. I have sixteen skeins in four pastels - pink, darker pink, yellow, and aqua - which the original purchaser probably intended for a baby blanket, and five skeins of that lovely bright blue. I'm going to try to make the pastels into a summer top for myself, and the blue into a baby's bath towel for a boy.