Saturday, April 29, 2006

Away For A While

Totally non-knitting post!

I've been away for a while and will be gone for a bit longer. Long story follows!

We have to move because our landlord was selling our house and just a little while after that news my dh lost his job. We've been wanting to move away from the city and really wanted to go out of the province. So my dh went to the St. Catharines area of Ontario to look for work. The first night he was out there I called the motel to talk to him and found out that the motel had virtually (but not totally) burned down in a fire and the customers had been evacuated and sent elsewhere. I then spent the worst night of my life while my dh was missing (to me) for 18 hours! He finally called and was alright. Anyway he was gone 4 days and came home not with a job but with prospects and he did find a place for us to rent at $200 cheaper than what we currently pay.

So this was last weekend and we are moving this weekend! It has been a whirlwind week full of many stressful situations. Have you ever tried to move across the country in just one week! Whew!!!!

Then when we gave notice our landlord told us she was going to rent the place now anyway for $300 more than what we pay. This moring the ad went in the paper and we had people here looking at the place then three families were here all at the same time. They all went onto the front lawn and a bidding war started and we found out that she got an extra $100 more a month than she was asking for the place. Rent here has become outrageous! I just can't believe people have to offer to pay more than the asking price just to get a place.

So folks, I am moving to Niagara Falls, Ontario in the moring! We will take about 4 days to get there and I'll be gone from blogging until I get my internet connection back up. I'm looking forward to arriving as I am originally from Ontario and it will be nice to see familiar places once again, I've been gone about 15 years.

Needless to say I haven't knit much through this. I haven't knit a stitch on the socks but I did finish the blue mitre blanket during my dh's absense.

I'll be back in about a week, two at the most.

7 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

Be safe and we'll see you on the other side.

Marguerite said...

Oh my! What a stressful time you're going through. Sounds like it's all going to be for the best, though.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! When it rains it pours! Best of luck to you guys although it sounds like you'll be just fine.

Anonymous said...

I am originally from Niagra Falls and my Gramma live in St. Catherines. Love them both. Good luck with your move.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. I'm so sorry to learn of all your stress, but I hope that the things will settle a bit soon. Hang in there. At least the kids didn't have to change schools! Good luck!

astridpersons said...

omg: what horror. Here in Holland you cannot put out of your house once you have rented it. But here it is almost impossible to rent a house. You have to put yourself on a waiting list and than it takes 4 ore 5 years before one gets offered a shitty appartment (that is: in the town I live in, I think Amsterdam is even worse.)
Most people here trie to buy a home, but ofcourse not everyone can afford that.
I wish you all the luck and strength: you will need it. But look at the bright sight: moving out also means moving in a new, clean home. I hope your husband will find a job soon.

Anonymous said...

What a whirlwind! Welcome back to Ontario! I hope your move goes smoothly.