Sunday, October 16, 2005

Presenting Conwy (& others)

To everyone who commented on Thrift Shop yarn buying, there is one key word here "perseverance". It really is hit and miss but you have to keep going back, if something good comes in, believe me it will not last long. I am admittedly a thrift shop junkie, but all the times I come up empty handed are happily offset by the occassional rewards. I've found lots of super yarn deals and thinking of the best I would have to say the time I got 3 balls of kid mohair and the time I got a box full !! of hanks of Briggs & Little worsted wool (still have lots of this left). And all for less than a buck a ball.

Come join the fun over at Straying Power for a Sock Scrap Swap

Now, onto the WIPs and FOs. First may I present Conwy. This has been designated as my favourite sock to date:


Click here to enlarge.

Pattern: Conwy from "Knitting on the Road" by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Harris Tweed Shetland 4ply Shade 3
Gusset, Heel and Toe Talk: following my plan to follow instructions here, the gusset and heel were done using my regular method, so nothing new here. The toe was something new for me, with decreasing done 4 times in the round, I believe this is called the star toe. Can't say I'm too crazy about the decrease lines on the top and bottom of the toe but it does fit nicely and I will give it another try and see how I feel after I've worn them a while.

Second FO for the day is the Feather & Fan Comfort Shawl:


Click here to enlarge.

Pattern: Feather & Fan Comfort Shawl
Yarn: odd balls of novelty/specialty/bulky yarns from stash.

And I leave you with a peek at the WIPs:

Click here to enlarge.

1) Another feather & fan shawl, this time with fall colours.
2)green dishcloth. (yay! the yellow is all done).
3)Latvian Lace sock (doing a rib instead of the picot hem)
4) Gotland Island Mitten, getting close to the finger decreases.

2 comments:

stricken madchen said...

Your socks look great! I love that pattern too. (Still working on sock #2). I love your shawl too.

Ginger said...

Great job on the Conwy socks and I all I have to say is "WOW" about the mitten.