Thursday, January 26, 2006

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday


I'm thinking here of any story that is split into more than one volume, stories such as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Rowling's Harry Potter volumes, Eddings' Belgariad, to name just a few. Christie's Hercule Perot stories do not count, nor do Gardner's Sherlock Holmes stories, as the reader can consume them in any order. Savvy?


  1. Do you enjoy reading multi-volume stories? Yes, yes, yes!

  2. Do you prefer the shorter stories that are done in two or three volumes, or do you willingly go for longer tales? Both

  3. What do you like/dislike about these long tales? The worst part of reading a great book is to have it end. Sometimes you feel let down when the book is over, you have nowhere to go to find out more about these people. Trilogies and epic multi-volume sets keep on giving, you become familiar with the characters and they become friends. I love reading fantasies and very rarely read a stand-alone anymore.

6 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

How about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever? There were a total of 6 in that series and I cried at the end.

I love trilogies/multi-volume series.

Laura said...

Yes, Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books would definitely count. For obvious reasons, I couldn't list them all in the question. :-)

In some long tales, I get so involved in the characters and their lives that I actively miss them when I'm done reading the story! LOL

Chris said...

How about His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? (starts with The Amber Spyglass)

Chris said...

D'oh - I forgot to include that I like multivolume series (including mysteries and such) for that same feeling of comfort and familiarity with the characters... and I definitely miss them when I'm done reading! I just finished reading all of the Eve Dallas books, and I feel as if something is missing. :)

Kim said...

I echo your thoughts in my post as well :) I love series books.

Anonymous said...

If you like Eddings, you might like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I think there are over 10 books in the series.