Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Contest , FO and More

First of all, this is my first time having a contest and I guess I made it a bit too hard. I've given more clues in the entry below, so if you've already guessed, guess again!

As to my question about one or two blogs, thank you to Katie and Cindy for taking the time to comment. I have decided to keep just the one blog and blog away on everything hobby/craft related here.

Now, finally a FO!



Pattern: Julia's Stole by Carol Fetherston from 2006 Pattern-a-day Calendar
Yarn: For the cream I used a strand of an unknown linen/cotton blend held together with a vintage sock yarn. For the brown I used a strand of vintage Coats #30 crochet thread with a strand of Schepjeswol Mohair Ombre (67% mohair/28% wool/5% nylon)
Notes: OK, lots of notes this time. The pattern called for 3 different shades of lace weight to hold together with the mohair but I didn't have any laceweight so I went with the #30 crochet thread. I also only used one shade since I used a variegated mohair.

Next the pattern has a couple of mistakes or is not very clear. #1 - the materials call for laceweight and then this is always referred to as silk in the instructions. #2 After studying the picture numerous times I decided that the garter stich ridge was done only once instead of twice as the pattern would indicate as written. So if you are knitting this when the pattern says " work pattern sequence 21 times" I repeated only Rows 3 to 10. My stole came out to the same dimensions as given.

And finally, I absolutely love this stole and pattern! My yarns went together fabulously, wonderful texture and very soft and light. The pattern stitch is simple and easy to memorize and very pretty, I think.


I finally received my December sotmc kit. I love this one. Purple and Gold ... Mmmm! It's a worsted sock and I'll probably be starting it soon.

Since I'm in the stash-a-long I feel like maybe this cheating, but I did sign up for the club way before the stash-a-long. So I think I'm still technically ok aren't I? Kim?

Non-knitting content follows.




So, as I mentioned a few entries ago I've started a new addiction to collage. I joined the gluebooks group and have been working in one for the last little while. I'm adding a gallery link over in the side bar. Here's the first one I ever did.



I've also joined the altered puzzles group and can't wait to get started on that.

This weekend Michaels had a fabulous sale. 50% off a lot of stuff and a bunch of things for $1.50. Since I'm on the stash-a-long, I had a peek at the yarn and then bought some crafting supplies since I'm not allowed to buy yarn.



And a visit to the thrift store resulted in some crafting supplies, too. Thankfully, they had no yarn so I didn't have to pass that hurdle


A journal to collage in or alter ... an iron on face ... a landscaper's stencil of flowers and bushes ... a box of paper fasteners ... and some vintage wrapping paper.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Your stole looks lovely.

I'm a bit afraid to go to my beloved thrift stores, in case there is yarn, so I can commiserate!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stole. It looks so soft and cozy!
Your birthplace - my guess - how about the Shetland Islands?

Anonymous said...

I say you're fine with the yarn club not ruining your stashalonging. A yarn club is kind of like having a stash that is stored off-site, and only revealed to you a little bit at a time, right? :)

The stole is gorgeous.

Kim said...

Love the stole and you're fine with your Sock of the month yarn--I agree with what Katie said and to me it's like something you've ordered in advance you just haven't received it. Just popping through on weekly Stashalong check.