Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Getting in A Mood

Every once in a while I get in one of these moods where I always have to be knitting something other than what I am working on and I keep starting new things. I'm in one of these moods now. I'm working on the Shell socks from "Knitting Vintage Socks" and I love the pattern, possibly one of the prettiest lace patterns I've ever knit on a sock BUT I just can't get myself to work on them. Every time I pick them up it feels like a chore and I end up working on something else or starting something else.

I think the problem is lack of colour. When I think really hard about what I like about knitting, I get the most gratification out of putting a bunch of colours together to create something. That is why I like mitred squares, crochet squares and stranded knitting so much. And I'm just in a mood right now where I want colour-work in my knitting.

Stashbusting for the Stash-along has been in full gear around here. The second scrap rug is done and I've used up all the yarn. (Yeah!)


Click here to enlarge.

Pattern: none, basic mitre squares
Yarn: double strands Phentex and other scraps of polar weight. 8mm needles
Notes: object was to use up the yarn, which I did, so it has a scrappy look to it compared to the last one.

I also finished the first sock I was working on based on the Traveling Socks from Socks,Socks,Socks.


Click here to enlarge.

I used the original chart for colour distribution. I replaced all the motifs with my own and used seed stitch instead of garter stitch (in the original). I also did the whole thing on 2mm needles and the fit is wonderful (not boxy like the original).

And one more Finsihed Object this week.



Pattern: Slanted Eyelet Scarf by Sandi Rosner from 2006 Pattern a Day Calandar
Yarn: Baycrest Elysee (acrylic/mohair/wool) (2 balls)
Notes: very easy pattern, has a bit of a "clapotis"-look to it. The ends facing the same direction might bother some, but not me. The yarn is some ancient stuff from the stash, just the right amount of mohair to give a nice halo but not enough that it's up my nose the whole time I'm knitting. I have three more balls left of this.

Current WIPS
Shell Socks
Julia's Stole
Granny Square Vest

2 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hello from New Brunswick! Your completed projects look great, and I especially love the sock! I am just new to sock knitting, so your pattern is way beyond my capabilities LOL. You did a fantastic job on it though!

Kim said...

Wow!! You went on a finishing frenzy this week :) Just popping through on weekly Stashalong patrol.